What To Do When Someone You Loved Is Arrested
- Express your support. They need you now more than ever.
- Ask questions as to why this happened, and how you can help.
- Show a little anger and disappointment. They need to feel how this negatively affects their most loved family and friends.
- Set some goals. Whether it’s spending more time with family or attending rehab, go over some new changes to routine to encourage better and/ or safe behavior.
- Outline ultimatums and consequences. You and your loved one need to be serious about support and change. There will be consequences otherwise because if goals aren’t met, they could end up in trouble again and you’ll find your friendship being taken advantage of.
- Express your support. We say it again because through this ordeal, your support is incredibly important. Your support is what is going to help your loved one get over this hurdle.